HTML is indispensable for it’s the building block of a webpage, no matter which programming language is in use for the functional aspects. A PSD document is what brings the look of a webpage into notice even before it’s created during custom web design. PSDs help you create the layout of a website exactly the way (the arrangement of sections, blocks, elements, etc.) you want it.
So, PSD to HTML conversion services are no less important than other branches of web design. In Singapore, hundreds of web design agencies offer these services. Chances are you might end up paying for the quality of services you didn’t mean to. Learning the basics of PSD to HTML conversion and what to expect from a service provider can help.
Types of Layouts Included in Typical PSD to HTML Conversion Services
It’s imperative for both you and the web design agency to pick up a layout that serves your purposes. There are four different layouts used as part of the conventions of PSD to HTML conversion.
You can choose from a responsive, fluid, fixed, or mobile-first layout where a responsive layout is the most popular and effective choice for both business and personal websites.
Which Components Are Designed?
If you look at the structure of a webpage, you’ll see two principal parts such as the header and the body. Each of these parts contains different elements which are also laid out in a typical PSD document.
- The Header contains the logo, tagline, banner images/ sliders/ animation videos, and the navigation menu.
- The body contains text, visuals (images, videos, audios, etc.), and the footer where certain details including contact information, quick links, copyright information, etc. are displayed.
Steps Involved in PSD to HTML Conversion Services
PSD to HTML conversion services are based on a set of tasks which are completed in a streamlined process which is stated below.
- It starts with the PSD being sliced, so the required visuals (logo, images, etc.) can be collected.
- Then, the directories are created (main folder having the website name, a folder for the images, and a CSS folder).
- At this point, the PSD is converted to HTML which the browser can read and render.
- Simultaneously, the CSS file is written to bring life to the layout.
- A complete set of designs is created where all elements are placed collectively.
- The webpage is designed to be responsive across different browsers, screen sizes, and devices.
Now you know how PSD to HTML conversion services are delivered by a typical web design agency in Singapore, you should know about the qualities that an HTML document must have.
Clean Code Is a Must for PSD to HTML Conversion Services
If you want to get a beautiful website using a beautiful PSD, the first thing you want to do is get that PSD converted to HTML and CSS properly. We mean ‘properly’ here in a subjective manner. The code has to be clean, professionally structured, and semantically valid.
Well, any web designer in Singapore can assure you that they can create perfectly functional markup for you. In practice, many of them can live up to the claim, but not all web designers in Singapore have the ability to do what’s required for a pixel-perfect, easy-to-use, and logically organized HTML markup. Here’s a list of principles that a web designer should abide by.
- Use of Strict DOCTYPE (Discard the use of a Transitional declaration)
- The declaration of character set UTF-8 and use of special characters with the right character reference
- Consistent and comfortable indentation
- Use of CSS using an external file (neither inline nor in the head)
- Proper nesting of tags (no block elements inside an inline element)
- Precise use of ‘divs’ (no unnecessary ‘divs’)
- Use of a standard naming convention for classes and IDs and useful comments (reinvention of the wheel isn’t prohibited but names must make sense)
- Use of CSS to handle typography as much as possible
- Logical ordering of the sections of a webpage as laid out in the PSD
One out of five websites designed for Singapore’s audience lacks at least one of the above conventions. Sometimes, a web design company may get away with minor deviations, but that’s not what you should allow if it’s all about your business. So, what makes a high-quality HTML markup off a PSD?
- The HTML, CSS document created from a PSD should look neat and organized.
- The markup should function fast in all major web browsers.
- The HTML markup needs to be SEO-friendly.
- PSD to HTML conversion services should be delivered with the ease of further development and maintenance in mind
Companies that offer PSD to HTML conversion services should maintain and encourage best practices of HTML-CSS standards. Every web design company in Singapore should uphold the significance of professional coding and markup. Is there any way to validate that? Of course, there is. Here comes W3C validation.
Why Is W3C Validity Critical to PSD to HTML Conversion Services?
Needless to say, web designers around the world including the ones in Singapore should run their code through a reliable validator machine, so they can pick up almost unnoticeable mistakes.
Some mistakes can be too minor to have any bearing on your webpage as it’s rendered by the web browser while other mistakes can be critical. So, no web designers should risk delivering non-validated code.
For example, your web designer in Singapore may forget a slash in an ending tag like ‘<br />’. These errors have barely any effect in your website’s functional aspect or SEO prospects. However, leaving tags without validation still makes your code non-compliant with W3C which ultimately makes PSD to HTML conversion services subpar.
Again, some website owners are fond of new social media widgets or latest HTML-CSS features which require that web designers do everything they can to pass the W3C tests. Failure to validate your markup weakens the code that makes your website run.
How to Verify the Quality of PSD to HTML Conversion Services
Let us clarify one thing. You don’t have to justify how your web designers provide PSD to HTML conversion services. The only thing that matters here is the quality of the final markup or converted document.
You might want to use an online validator, but that’s the job of the web designer who converted the PSD to HTML. You can ask them about the markup’s W3C validity. If you still need to make certain, you can run the validation on your own. Just visit “validator.w3.org” and check if the converted HTML document is compliant.
While tests like these are reliable, they cannot be the last resort. Some aspects of the markup require that you examine things in web browsers including the most popular ones. With W3C validity ensured, you have to see if the markup delivers exactly the intended output. Once that’s confirmed; you can be sure of the quality.
Although there are dozens of web browsers, you definitely have certain names to consider such as Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, etc.
So, that’s all we wanted to tell you about PSD to HTML conversion services. Wondering if it’s difficult to find a web designer in Singapore that can follow these conventions and deliver you top-quality service? Feel free to contact us and talk to our web designers who have been offering professional PSD to HTML services for years.